Shared cultural attractions

  • Location :

The Old City of Nesebar

Situated on a rocky peninsula on the Black Sea, the more than 3,000-year-old site of Nessebar was originally a Thracian settlement named Menebria. At the 6th century BC, the city became a Greek colony. The city’s remains, which date mostly from the Greek period, include the acropolis, an agora, a temple of Apollo, and some parts from the walls from the Thracian fortifications. Among other monuments, the Stara Mitropolia Basilica and the fortress date from the Middle Ages, when this was one of the most important Byzantine towns on the west coast of the Black Sea.

The Ancient city of Nessebar is a unique example of a synthesis of the centuries-old human activities in the sphere of culture. Nessebar is a location where numerous civilizations have left tangible traces in single homogeneous whole, which harmoniously fit in with nature. The different stages of development of its residential vernacular architecture reflect the stages of development of the architectural style on the Balkans and in the entire East Mediterranean region. The urban structure contains elements from the second millennium BC, from Ancient Times through the Medieval period.

Nesebar has on several occasions found itself on the frontier of a threatened empire, and as such it is a town with a rich history. Due to the city's abundance of historic buildings, UNESCO came to include Nesebar in its list of World Heritage Sites in 1983.

Nearest settlements: Sunny Beach, Ravda, Sveti Vlas, Pomorie

Major rivers and lakes: Pomoriysko Lake, Aheloy River

Working hours: NA

Municipality of Nesebar: Tel: 00359 554 42532

.



City of Edirne

One of the most acient cities in the region is Edirne. Edirne is a city in Eastern Thrace, in northwest Turkey. It lies on the gently rolling Thracian plains. This city is very old at the same time it has comprehensive cultural wealth. Edirne is one of the oldest settlements of both Thrace and Anatolia. Dating back to the Neolithic age 7.000-6.000 B.C. With last excavations, examples of prehistoric monuments – dolmens, menhirs and tumulus – can be seen from its outskirts, notably in the Çardakaltı prehistoric settlement and in Lalapasa.

The various historical names Edirne has had indicate the many historical periods it has been through. From Odrisia – founded by the Thracian civilisation Odryses in the 5th century B.C. – to Hadrianopolis – after Roman Emperor Hadrian who re-founded the city in the 2nd (123-124) century A.C., it was named Edirne by Sultan Murad I in 1361. As an economic and commercial centre, life in Edirne was rich and colourful and bazaars and caravanserais spread around the city. Edirne is a city of rivers – the Meriç, Arda and Tunca rivers all meet at Edirne and join the Ergene river in the south. The Edirne city has a rich cultural heritage that makes it a living museum.

Edirne is famous with its markets as well. One of the most famous is the market “Ali Pasha Charshi”, located in the center of the city.

Nearest settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes: Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River

Working hours: NA

Municipality Edirne: Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Village of Brashlyan

Brashlyan is a village in Malko Tarnovo Municipality, in Burgas Province, in southeastern Bulgaria. Known as Sarmashik until 1934, today the entire village is an architectural reserve displaying characteristic Strandzha wooden architecture from the mid-17th to the 19th century.

Brashlyan lies in the low Strandzha mountains of Bulgaria's southeast, 14 km northwest of Malko Tarnovo, 64 km south of Burgas and 4 km from the Bulgaria–Turkey border. The village traces its foundation to the 17th century when the residents of the Yurtet, Selishte and Zhivak neighborhoods settled in the Lower Neighborhood of Brashlyan. The old name Sarmashik was from Ottoman Turkish sarmaşıkand had the same meaning, "ivy".

Brashlyan is part of the Strandzha Nature Park. The village's territory borders that of the Vitanovo Reserve, the Veleka river valley and the trout breeding pool on the Katun River. The village's fair is organized annually in early August, usually around the 8th, and lasts two days.

 

Major Settlements: City of Malko Tarnovo, Village of Zdezdets

Major rivers and lakes: Veleka River

Working hour: NA

Municipality of Malko Tarnovo: Tel: 00359 5952 3021

.



Selimiye Mosque

The Selimiye Mosque is an Ottoman imperial mosque, which is located in the city of Edirne, Turkey. The mosque was commissioned by Sultan Selim II, and was built by architect Mimar Sinan between 1569 and 1575. It was considered by Sinan to be his masterpiece and is one of the highest achievements of Islamic architecture.

Dominating the skyline of Edirne, the Selimiye Mosque Complex commissioned by Selim II is the ultimate architectural expression by the architect Sinan of the Ottoman külliye. The imposing mosque stepping up to its single great dome with four soaring slender minarets, spectacular decorated interior space, manuscript library, meticulous craftsmanship, brilliant Iznik tiles and marble courtyard together with its associated educational institutions, outer courtyard and covered bazaar, represent the apogee of an art form and the pious benefaction of 16th century imperial Islam. The architectural composition of the Selimiye Mosque Complex in its dominant location represents the culmination of the great body of work by Sinan, the most outstanding architect of the Ottoman Empire.

The Selimiye Mosque Complex includes all the attributes of its Outstanding Universal Value within the property boundary, is well-maintained and does not suffer from adverse effects of development.

Nearest settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River

Working hours: 07:00 - 20:00

Municipality Edirne: Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Museum of Health and Sultan Beyazit II Mosque

Health Museum is a unique venue, situated in the area of Sultan Bayezid II Mosque Complex in Edirne. All the complex area is called külliye. A külliye is an Ottoman architectural term for a complex of buildings centered on a mosque. Complex of Bayezid II Külliye was built in 1488 by the Ottoman sultan Bayezid II (reigned 1481–1512).

The health museum houses recreated rooms of a hospital from the Ottoman period.

The hospital was called Darüşşifa in old Turkish, from the Arabic word Dar al-Shifa. It was opened in Sultan Bayezid II külliye in 1488. It treated the patients for over 400 years, until 1909. Just next to the hospital, there was a medical school that trained doctors for the Ottoman Empire, until the end of the 19th century. The hospital and the school formed one of the most important medical centres of the Middle East.

The historic darüşşifa was incorporated into the structure of Edirne-based Trakya University in 1993, and converted into a "Health Museum" in 1997, a museum dedicated to the history of medicine and health matters in general. It has been developing constantly ever since. It remains Turkey's only museum in its field and provides varied and valuable information to visitors on the development of medicine and of medical services throughout history, especially Ottoman history. The museum was awarded the European Council's "European Council Museum Award" in 2004. The museum is the second most visited historical site in Edirne, after the Selimiye Mosque.

Nearest settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River

Working hours:  9:00 – 17:30

Municipality Edirne: Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



The Justice Tower

Erected in 1561 by Suleiman the Magnificent, who is called in Turkey as Suleiman the Lawmaker, the "Kasr-ı Adalet" (literally: Justice Pavilion) is the only structure as part of the Edirne palace complex, which remained intact. The Edirne Palace, or formerly New Imperial Palace was a palace of the Ottoman sultans in Edirne, mostly during the era when the city was the capital of the empire. Few of the palace buildings have survived until now, however works are underway for its reconstruction.

In the form of a rectangular tower with a pointed metal roof, it is situated next to the tiny Fatih Bridge over the Tunca river, which was built in 1452 by Mehmed the Conqueror. Two stone columns still stand in front of the building. The right one, called the "Respect Stone", was used to hold the petitions of the people to the sultan, and the left one, named the "Warning Stone", to display the capitated heads of criminals.

Nearest settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River

Working hours: NA

Municipality Edirne: Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



City of Sozopol

Sozopol is an ancient seaside town located 35 km south of Burgas on the southern Bulgarian Black Sea Coast. Sozopol is one of the oldest towns on Bulgarian Black Sea coast.

The first settlement on the site dates back to the Bronze Age. The city, which has a population of 5,000, is one of the oldest on the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast and one of the country’s most popular seaside resorts. The romantic atmosphere of the city’s beautiful old town attracts visitors from all over the world.

Archeological research indicates that the city has a cultural tradition that is some 7,000 years old. The first settlement grew up on the Sozopol bay during the Neolithic Era, some 6,000 years BC. The current town was founded in the 7th century BC by Greek colonists from Miletus as Antheia. The name was soon changed to Apollonia, on account of a temple dedicated to Apollo in the town, containing a famous colossal statue of the god Apollo.

The symbol of the town – the anchor, present on all coins minted by Apollonia since the sixth century BC, is proof of the importance of its maritime trade. The rich town soon became an important cultural centre. At these times it was called Apollonia Magna.

Present-day Sozopol is the business card of the Bulgarian marine tourism. Due to its impressive architecture and archaeology, diverse cultural programme, excellent hotel facilities and modern tourist infrastructure, the town welcomes hundred thousands of tourists each year.

Nearest Settlements: Chernomorets, Primorsko, Burgas

Major rivers and lakes:  Ropotamo River

Working hours: NA

Municipality of Sozopol: Tel: 00359 550 25701

.



St. Anastasia Island

St. Anastasia Island is a Bulgarian islet in the Black Sea. Between 1945 and 1996 it was known as Bolshevik Island. St. Anastasia Island is located 1.5 km off the coast near Chernomorets, at 12 metres above sea level, and covers a territory of one hectare. It is the only inhabited island off the Bulgarian Black Sea Coast.

The island is supplied with electricity and drinking water. It is named after the former St. Anastasia convent located on it. The convent had existed since the Middle Ages and was reconstructed during the 18th-19th century. It has been abandoned since 1923, when the island was transformed into a prison.

Today, in addition to the monastery with its church, there is a lighthouse situated on the island, as well as a museum, a restaurant, a small quay, a conference hall and two guesthouses with a total of five rooms available to tourists. In the summer, the island is accessible from Burgas via boat services running back and forth multiple times a day.

Nearest settlements: Burgas, Sozopol

Major rivers and lakes: Lake Atanasovsko, Lake Burgas, Lake Mandra  

Working hour: NA

Municipality of Burgas: Tel: 00359 56 840916

.



Church of St. Stephen

The Church of St. Stephen is a former Orthodox Church in Nessebar, Eastern Bulgaria, which is now turned into a museum. It is part of architectural and historical reserve in the city, which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage site and one of the 100 national tourist sites. The building consists of a three-nave basilica with dimensions 12.1 x 9.5 m, and served as the cathedral church of the metropolitan center in the province of Nessebar.

The church has been restored and enlarged several times and is difficult to be dated exactly. The eastern part is the oldest and probably dates from the 11th century. Some centuries later the church was enlarged by adding a new structure to the west. The western wall was demolished and the present narthex was built. The church was timber-roofed. The exterior is rich in design. The eastern and the western façades are crowned with pediments in the form of trefoil arches. The eastern façade is more elaborate. It comprises three high apses, the middle of which rises above the side ones. All three are decorated with ceramic plaques. A colourful effect is achieved by the mixed masonry of stone and bricks, without keeping to any fixed pattern. The decoration of the façade is the reason for defining this church as an example of the ornamental architectural style.

Nearest settlements: Sunny Beach, Ravda, Sveti Vlas, Pomorie

Major rivers and lakes: Pomoriysko Lake, Aheloy River

Working hours: 9:00 - 17:00

Municipality of Nesebar: Tel: 00359 554 42532

.



Church of Christ Pantocrator

The Church of Christ Pantocrator is a medieval Eastern Orthodox Church in the eastern Bulgarian town of Nesebar, on the Black Sea coast of Burgas Province. Part of the Ancient Nesebar UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Church of Christ Pantocrator was constructed in the 13th–14th century and is best known for its lavish exterior decoration. The church is designed in late Byzantine cross-in-square style. The church, today an art gallery, survives largely intact and is among Bulgaria's best preserved churches of the Middle Ages.

Nearest settlements: Sunny Beach, Ravda, Sveti Vlas, Pomorie

Major rivers and lakes: Pomoriysko Lake, Aheloy River

Working hours: 9:00 - 17:00

Municipality of Nesebar: Tel: 00359 554 42532

.



Basilica "St. Sofia"

The Church of Saint Sofia is an Eastern Orthodox church in Nesebar,Bulgaria. It is situated in the old quarter of the town which is part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site list and of the 100 Tourist Sites of Bulgaria.

The church is located in what is supposed to have been the center of the ancient city. It is a three-naved unvaulted basilica with a semi-circular apse, a narthex and an atrium. The church has a total length of 25.5 m and a width of 13 m. The division into three naves was effected by two rows of five pillars each. The middle nave (9.3 m wide) ends to the east with a big closed apse, round outside and three-sided inside. There are three arched windows on the eastern wall above the apse. The basilica used to have a double-sloped roof which has not been preserved. From the inside the church used to be plastered and then painted with frescoes. The whole floor used to be covered with mosaics made out with little coloured stones. It has mixed masonry of stone and brick and is the largest of the Nesebar churches whose overground structure has survived.

The basilica was constructed in the late 5th and early 6th century. Its present appearance was dated from the beginning of the 9th century when it was reconstructed. During the Middle Ages it served as a cathedral for the bishopric eparchy centered in Nesebar. The basilica was abandoned in the 18th century.

Nearest settlements: Sunny Beach, Ravda, Sveti Vlas, Pomorie

Major rivers and lakes: Pomoriysko Lake, Aheloy River

Working hours: NA

Municipality of Nesebar: Tel: 00359 554 42532

.



Roman Town Deultum

Deultum is an old Roman settlement in Bulgaria. The territory of the ancient city of Deultum is located in about 10 km west from the city of Burgas, in the way os Sredetz on the territory of Debelt village. The archeological remains were declared an architectural and construction monument in 1965.

Nearest settlements: Sredets, Rusokastro, Burgas

Major rivers and lakes:  Sredeshka River, Lake Mandrа

Working hours: NA

Municipality of Sredets: Tel: 00359 5551 6996

.



Church of the Holy Savior

The Church of the Holy Savior or Sveti Spas in the UNESCO World Heritage town of Nesebar, Bulgaria, is a 17th-century church building of 1609, 11.70 m long and 5.70 m wide, consisting of a single nave and apse. Although small, it is notable for its early 17th century wall paintings representing scenes from the Life of Christ and the Holy Virgin. The church itself is de-consecrated and is also used as a museum.

Nearest settlements: Sunny Beach, Ravda, Sveti Vlas, Pomorie

Major rivers and lakes: Pomoriysko Lake, Aheloy River

Working hours: 9:00 - 17:00

Municipality of Nesebar: Tel: 00359 554 42532

.



Church of Saint Paraskevi

The Church of Saint Paraskevi is a medieval Eastern Orthodox church in Nesebar, Bulgaria. It was most likely built in the 13th or 14th century and forms part of the Ancient Nesebar UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Church of Saint Paraskevi features a single nave and a pentagonal apse as well as rich exterior decoration. Its dome and the belfry surmounting the narthex have not been preserved today, and it is unknown which of the three saints named Paraskevi it was dedicated to.

Nearest settlements: Sunny Beach, Ravda, Sveti Vlas, Pomorie

Major rivers and lakes: Pomoriysko Lake, Aheloy River

Working hours: 9:00 - 17:00

Municipality of Nesebar: Tel: 00359 554 42532

.



Aquae Calidae

Aquae Calidae is a historic city on the territory of Burgas, near to Vetren and Banevo neighborhoods. In the Middle Ages Aquae Calidae was mentioned also with names Therma and Thermopol. It is proved that the city was visited by Philip II of Macedon, The Byzantine emperors Justinian I and Constantine IV Pogonatos, the Bulgarian khan Tervel, and by the Ottoman sultan Suleiman the Magnificent. On 2015 opens renovated museum complex.

Nearest settlements: Vetren, Burgas, Pomorie

Major rivers and lrakes:  Atanasko Lake 

Working hour:  10:00 - 19:00

Municipality of Burgas: Tel: 00359 56 840916

.



Church of St. John the Baptist

The Church of St. John the Baptist is a church is a medieval Eastern Orthodox Church in Nesebar, Bulgarian. The church is a part of the Ancient Nesebar UNESCO World Heritage Site. The Church of St. John the Baptist was built between 10 and 12 century, and it’s one of the best preserved churches in Nessebar. It is 12 meters long and 10 meters wide. The structure of the church consists of two cylindrical vaults which intersect in the center of the composition. 

Nearest settlements: Sunny Beach, Ravda, Sveti Vlas, Pomorie

Major rivers and lakes: Pomoriysko Lake, Aheloy River

Working hours: 9:00 - 17:00

Municipality of Nesebar: Tel: 00359 554 42532

.



City of Burgas

Burgas is a town located on the southern Bulgarian Black Sea coast. The territory of Burgas was populated since ancient times. However at that period most of the lands that today Burgas covers were small fisherman villages and fortifications. The earliest signs of life in the region date back 3000 years, to the Bronze Age and the early Iron Age. 

One of the symbols of the city - St. Cyril and Methodius Church is located in the city center. The church was built between 1897 and 1907 on the project of the Italian architect Ricardo Toscani, who worked in the city. The Church of St. Cyril and Methodius differs from the churches built during the Bulgarian Revival, as well as those built during the first year after the Liberation. 

Another cultural monument of the city is the Armenian Church. The church is located in the very center of the city, just meters from the building of the Municipality, just behind the hotel Bulgaria. The Armenian Apostolic and Orthodox Church "Surp Hach" (translated as St. Cross) was built in 1673. 

Nearest settlements: Pomorie, Sozopol

Major rivers and lakes: Lake Atanasovsko, Lake Burgas, Lake Mandra  

Working hour: NA

Municipality of Burgas: Tel: 00359 56 840916

.



Ottoman waterway - Synankoy

After Edirne became the capital of the Ottoman Empire, water was introduced from the sources of Sinankoy and Kuchukdolluk villages located 40 km away from the center to meet the water need of the city and the architect Sinan designed this waterways to meet the needs. Thanks to these aqueducts built by Sultan Suleyman the Magnificent, water from Edirne was distributed to various establishments and fountains. The belts оф тхе ватерваъс are made of rubble and cut stone.

Nearest settlements: Edirne. Kirklareli

Major rivers and lakes: Sinankoy Deresi River,

Working hours: NA

Municipality Edirne: Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Edirne Archaeology and Ethnography Museum

The museum is in the center of Edirne on Kadirpaşa Mektep Street. It is next to the famous Selimiye Mosque. The museum was established in 1925 in a medrese of the Selimiye Mosque. Although it was originally planned as an archaeology museum, it also contained many ethnographic items. On 1936 a second medrese building was added to the museum. On 1971 the museum was moved to the new museum building which was built next to former building. The museum has two sections - the archaeology section and the ethnography section.

Nearest settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River

Working hours: 07:00 - 20:00

Municipality Edirne: Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Üç Şerefeli Mosque

The Üç Şerefeli Mosque is a 15th-century Ottoman mosque in Edirne, Turkey. The Üç Şerefeli Mosque was commissioned by Ottoman sultan Murad II, and built in 1447.It is located in the historical center of the city, close to the Selimiye Mosque and Old Mosque. The name refers to unusual minaret with three balconies.

Nearest settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River

Working hours: 07:00 - 20:00

Municipality Edirne: Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



The Old Mosque

The Old Mosque  is an early 15th-century Ottoman mosque in Edirne, Turkey. It was built from the order of Emir Süleyman, and completed under the rule of his brother, Sultan Mehmet I. The mosque is located in the historical center of the city, near the market and close to other prominent historical mosques, Selimiye Mosque and Üç Şerefeli Mosque. The mosque is covered by 9 domes supported on four columns.

Nearest Settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River, Edirne Province

Woriking hours: 8:00 - 18:00

Municipality of Edirne - Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



"St. George" Bulgarian church

St. George is a Bulgarian Orthodox Church, located in the North-Eastern part of Edirne, in the old Bulgarian neighborhood. The church is vast, three-nave basilica with a high ceiling, lined with wood, and the walls are decorated with icons. The church is built on a 320 sq.m.  area in architecture style typical for the Bulgarian late Revival. Nowadays on the second floor are located small ethnographic museum.

Nearest Settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River, Edirne Province

Woriking hours: 9:00 - 16:30

Municipality Edirne - Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Grand Synagogue of Edirne

Grand Synagogue of Edirne, aka Edirne Synagogue is a historic Sephardi synagogue in Edirne, Turkey. It was designed in the Moorish Revival style and restored in 2015.

The 1905 Great Fire of Edirne destroyed more than 1,500 houses and also damaged several synagogues in the city. The twenty-thousand strong Jewish community urgently needed a place of worship. The Synagogue was opened to service on 1909. Capable of accommodating up to 1,200 worshipers it was Europe's third largest temple and the largest in Turkey.

In 1983, the synagogue was abandoned after most of the Jewish community left the city, emigrating to Israel, Europe, or North America.

Nearest Settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River, Edirne Province

Woriking hours: 10:00 - 17:00

Municipality Edirne - Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Muradiye Mosque

Muradiye Mosque was erected in the years 1426 - 1436, on the orders of the Sultan Murad II, who gave the building its name. This mosque is distinguished from other mosques of Edirne because of the tiles that decorate the mihrab and the walls of the prayer hall.

Nearest Settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River, Edirne Province

Woriking hours: 07:00 - 18:00

Municipality Edirne - Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Marista Bridge Edirne

The Meriç Bridge (sometimes known simply as the New Bridge) carries the road from Edirne to Macedonia to the southwest. It is positioned directly to the south of the Ekmekcioglu Ahmet Pasha Bridge (Tundzha) Bridge. At this point, to the south of Edirne, the Tundzha River which loops around the old city, meets up with the Maritsa (Meriç) River. Directly before the rivers meet, for a couple of hundred meters they flow parallel to each other. It is here that the main highway south out of Edirne crosses both rivers, one after he other, using first the "Tundzha Bridge" and then the "New Bridge".The 263 m Meriç Bridge was opened in 1842, but its design follows that of the seventeenth century Tundzha Bridge.

Nearest Settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River, Edirne Province

Woriking hours: NA

Municipality Edirne - Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Enez Castle

It is supposed that the Enez Castle was existing in the Ancient Era and its main purpose was to avoid barbarian invasions from the Balkans. Although the exact construction date is not known, the collected building materials on walls indicate that it was built before the Byzantine Period. It is mentioned in sources that Justinian I repaired the castle in 6th century A.D.

The castle’s main entrance is in the north while the castle itself lies towards the east-west direction, merging with the fortification wall to the south. Inside the castle are Enez Hagia Sophia which is a symbol for Enez, a small mosaic-tiled church, and a cave used as a chapel. There is also the depiction of a Thracian cavalry made of white marble on the wall next to the monumental entrance gate.

Nearest Settlements: Uzunkopru, Luleburgaz

Woriking hours: NA

Major rivers and lakes: 

Municipality Enez - tel 0090 284 336 1009

.



Macedonian Tower

The tower was built during the rule of Emperor Hadrian (117-138), as a part of a new Roman fortress in the place of the ancient Thracian town of Uskudama. It was destroyed in Late Antiquity and restored by the Byzantian Emperor Justinian I (527- 565).

Present days the Macedonian tower is also known as the Clock tower. The Clock Tower, standing above Hadrianopolis excavations area, was built much later on the bastion known as the Macedonian Tower. This tower was originally a part of the fortifications surrounding Edirne. Its name is usually explained by the orientation of the building towards Macedonia.

In 1884, Edirne governor, İzzet Pasha, ordered the construction of a wooden clock tower on the bastion. It was also referred to as the Fire Tower. Original clock adorning the tower was brought to Edirne from France, but it was replaced two years later. In 1894, a new Clock Tower was built, replacing the original wooden tower. This second Clock Tower was also used as the Fire Tower. It was renewed in 1926, but it was severely damaged by the earthquake of 1953. 

Nearest Settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River, Edirne Province

Woriking hours: NA

Municipality Edirne - Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Uzunkopru Longbrodge

 The Uzunkopru Bridge connects Anatolia and the Balkans by spanning the Ergene river. It carries the title of the World’s longest historical stone bridge. When it was firstly built, the bridge used to be 1392 m in length, 6.80 m in width, 13.56 m in height and had 174 arches. Today it is 1238.55 m in length and has 172 arches. Some of its arches are pointed and the others are semi-circular in shape. The bridge’s height and the width change from place to place. The arches are embellished with ornaments of elephants, lions, birds, and geometric relief motifs. The bridge was built to cross the Ergene river, which sets a natural barrier to the Ottoman armies during the military expeditions to Anatolia and the Balkans. Because all wooden bridges formerly had been built were collapsed by the river waters, this stone bridge was built so that it was ensured that the Turkish armies would continue their influxes at any time.

Nearest Settlements: Edirne, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes: river Ergene

Working hour: NA

Municipality Edirne - tel 0090 284 513 11 08

.



Karaagach and Karaagach Old Railway Station

Karaagach and Karaagach Old Railway Station are located about 4 km southwest from the city. The train station was built in 1913-1914 by the architect Kemalettin bay and is similar to the train station Sirkedji in Istanbul.  Next to the train station is located the treaty and the museum of the Lausanne Monument. The monument consists of three concrete columns in different sizes, erected onto three separate concrete consoles. The longest column with 36.45 m height represents Anadolu (Anatolia) as the mainland of Turkey on Asia. The second column is 31.95 m tall and symbolizes Trakya (Thrace), the western part of Turkey on Europe. The third column, standing in the mid of the other two, represents Karaağaç with its 17.45 m height. The colorful houses and the wide streets of Karaagach make it a remarkable place for tourists to visit it. After establishment of several consulates in 19th century and the completion of the railway in 1873 for a short period of time in the area were opened plenty of restaurants, movie theaters, churches, chapels, schools and different entertainment places, which turned Karaagach into an entertainment center of the Balkans and they started calling it “The Little Paris”.

Nearest Settlements: Kirklareli, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Maritsa River, Tundja River, Arda River,

Woriking hours: 10:00 - 17:00

Municipality Edirne - Tel: 0090 284 213 91 40

.



Kiyikoy Aya Nikola Monastery

St. Nicholas' Monastery  is a Byzantine era Orthodox monastery, built during the time of Emperor Justinian I. It is situated about 800 m southwest of the town. The monastery consists of a chapel at the ground floor, cells for the monks and storerooms. In the basement, there is a holy well (hagiasma). The monastery was renovated in 1856 by Metropolitan bishop Matthaios.

Nearest settlements: Vise

Major rivers and lakes:  Papuc Deresi River

Woriking hours: NA

Municipality of Vize: 0090 288 318 10 21

.



Yayla neighborhood and the historical houses

Kirklareli Yayla quarter is a place with Bulgarian, Greek and Jewish populations. It is an open-air museum where most houses reflect Turkish architecture. Historical houses in the Yayla quarter are thought to have been built in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. While some of them reflect Turkish architecture, others were built by Greek masters using wooden, stone and adobe materials in accordance with the neoclassical style. Today, the place it is declared as an urban sightseeing.

Nearest Settlemets: Edirne, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Kirklareli Baraji Lake

Working hour: NA

Municipality of Kirklareli: 0090 288 214 10 45

.



Asagi Pinar Archaeological Area

Aşağı Pınar is a Neolithic site located near to the town of Kırklareli. The site was recovered in 1980. The excavations began in 1993 as a joint Project of İstanbul University and the German Archaeological Institute. Since than extensive areas have been exposed revealing an uninterrupted sequence from Early Neolithic, ca. 6200 BC to Middle Neolithic ca. 4700 BC.

Excavations have now been concentrated on the northern sector of the site, where the earliest settlement was established. The rest of the site has been designed as an open-air museum comprising of distinct units. Among them three traditional cruck-like buildings transported from the Istranca mountains have been designed with models to display the Neolithic way of life at Aşağı Pınar.

Nearest settlements: Edirne, Luleburgaz

Major rivers and lakes:  Kirklareli Baraji Lake

Working hours: NA

Municipality Kirklareli, Turkey - tel 090 284 213 91 40

.



City of Pomorie

Pomorie is a town in southeastern Bulgaria, located on a narrow rocky peninsula in Burgas Bay on the southern Bulgarian Black Sea Coast. Possibly founded in the 5th or 4th century BC as a colony of Apollonia (today Sozopol), Anchialos was mentioned in Strabo's Geographica as a small town. It was briefly captured by Messembria (Nesebar) in the 2nd century BC, but reconquered by Apollonia and its fortified walls destroyed. As the Odrysian kingdom's self-independence was abolished in 45 AD, Anchialos became part of the Roman province of Thrace and was formally proclaimed a city under Emperor Trajan. After 681 and the formation of the First Bulgarian State to the north Anchialos played an important role in many conflicts between the two empires. One of the most significant was the Battle of Anchialus took place near the city on 20 August 917, and was one of Tsar Simeon the Great's greatest military achievements.

Present days Pomorie is the third biggest city on Black Sea, and have a lot to offer to tourist, particularly those seeking cultural heritage sites. The famous landmarks of Pomorie are: Municipal museum and gallery; Ancient Thracian beehive tomb; Traditional Bulgarian 19th-century wooden houses; Nativity of Theotokos Church; Church of the Transfiguration of God; St George's Monastery; Yavorov's Rocks.

Nearest Settlements: Nessebar, Burgas

Major rivers and lakes:  Pomorie Lake, Aheloy River

Working hour: NA

Municipality Pomorie: Тel 00359 0596 22004

.



Markeli Fortress

The medieval fortress of Markeli is located at the Hissar hill in East part of Stara Planina mountain, 7.5 km west of town of Karnobat. The castle was an important military center and has played a major role in the Bulgarian-Byzantine relationships. It was built probably during the Byzantine emperors Anastasius I and Justinian in order to guard the only road to Varbishki and Rishki Passes.From 812 the castle is a Bulgarian possession and Khan Krum made it the largest Bulgarian stronghold in the south of Stara Planina mountain. The total area of the citadel was 460 acres and the length of the walls - 530 m.  The fortress was impregnable, and when it was under a siege it was supplied with water through specially constructed water facility connecting the city with the nearby river. After archaeological excavations in Markeli fortress were discovered medieval basilica from VI century, Old Bulgarian Church from the X century, a Byzantine church from the XI century and many artifacts such as bronze coins from VI-XIII century, fragments of graphite drawings, ceramic mosaics and bronze medieval seals.

Nearist settlements: Karnobat

Major rivers and lakes:  Aitoska River

Working hour:  NA

Municipality of Karnobat: 00359 887 327333

.



Burgas Museums

Bourgas can offer to tourists seeking sites with cultural and historical value, several museums, namely: Ethnographic Museum, Archaeological Museum and Natural History Museum.

In the archives of the Archaeological Museum Burgas are stored objects and documents related to archaeological researches in the entire Bourgas region - many artifacts from the prehistoric, Thracian, Greek, Roman, Byzantine, Old Bulgarian and Ottoman culture.

The Ethnographic Museum of Burgas is located near the church St.St.Curil and Methodiy. It housed in building constructed in 1873 which is declared cultural monument. In the museum is traced the life of people from Burgas region in period XIX - XX centuries. There are exhibited different collections including koukers masks, traditional folklore costumes, fabric and embroidery.

The Natural History Museum in Burgas started its activity in 1962. The museum has 6 expositions - Mammals, Reptiles and Insects, Birds, Plants, Minerals and New settlers. Today the museum has over 2000 exhibits, 400 photos, drawings and maps. Tourists can see exhibits of the deepest antiquity as fossil mammals - extinct species for Bulgaria, as well as representatives of the Bulgarian nature today.

Nearest settlements: Pomorie, Sozopol

Major rivers and lakes: Atanasko Lake, Lake Burgas, Lake Mandrensko

Working hours: 

Ethnographic Museum: 9:00 – 17:00, Slavyanska St 69, 8000 Burgas

Archaeological Museum: 9:00 – 17:00, bul. "Aleko Bogoridi" 21, 8000 Burgas

Natural History Museum: 9:00 – 17:00, ul. "Konstantin Fotinov", 8000 Burgas

Municipality of Burgas: Tel: 00359 56 840916

.



St. Ivan and St. Peter Islands

St. Ivan is the largest island on the Bulgarian Black Sea coast. It is about a kilometer from Sozopol. The island was a holy place for the ancient Thracians who made their sanctuary here in the 7th century BC. Then a large temple complex was built on the island, whose center is the 13 m high bronze statue of god Apollo. In the middle of the 5th century, an early Christian basilica was built on the island. At the end of the 5th and the beginning of the 6th century was build the temple "St. Virgin Mary ", which was probably associated with a significant monastery complex. After 1985, partial archaeological excavations were carried out, revealing the remains of the two Christian temples, the library, the royal residence, and others. In 2010 during archaeological excavations in the medieval monastery "St. John the Baptist "were found relics of St. John the Baptist.

Near St. Ivan Island is located the island of St. Peter. It is smaller in size then island. It is believed that due to a natural cataclysm, it has separated itself from the island of St Ivan since it is not mentioned in the written sources until the second half of the 19th century. Archaeological studies are encountered on traces of Revival chapel, as well as antique pottery.

Nearest settlements: Sozopol, Burgas

Major rivers and lakes:  Ropotamo River

Working hours: NA

Municipality of Sozopol: Tel: 00359 550 25701

.



Risocastron Fortress

Rusocastron is historical settlement – fortress on the territory of today’s Burgas village Rusocastro. In the beginning of IX century the fortress Rusocastron was rebuilded by the Bulgarians with the building of border trench Erkesia, connecting the Burgas bay with Maritza River. The fortress area was about 15 sq. m. The fortress is also known for the fact that the Bulgarian tzars have retained the last military victory before falling under the Ottoman Empire.

The first information about the fortress dates back to the 11th century, when was in the Byzantine territory. The fortress became part of the Bulgarian state in 1307 during the reign of Tsar Theodor Svetoslav. Later, the fortress was used by the Ottoman Empire as well. The last notes to the fortress date back to 1636 and 1677.

Nearest settlements: Kameno, Sredets

Major rivers and lakes: Rusokastrenska River

Working hour: NA

Municipality of Kameno: 00359 5515 3008

.



City of Malko Tarnovo

Malko Tarnovo is a Bulgarian town near the border with Turkey. The town is located in the central part of Strandja Mountain. The first settlement on the site of today's Malko Tarnovo is Thracian. During the rule of the Byzantine Emperor Constantine, the locality of Malko Tarnovo developed cultural and economic importance due to its proximity to the Byzantium capital, Constantinople. Today's city was founded in the late 16th and early 17th centuries.

There are numerous archeological finds of particular importance related to the Thracians In Malko Tarnovo and its surroundings. According to a number of well-known researchers, on the todays Malko Tarnovo location, lays a settlement from the ancient antiquity, which suggests the finds found in different ages. Very interesting for the visitors are the two dome Thracian tombs near the town. Built from precisely processed marble blocks, they are work of the Thracian monumental construction style from the 5th to the 3 rd century BC. Archaeological finds show that burial facilities were used in the Roman era for the same purpose. The first excavated, documented and published Thracian cult building (tomb) under a mound embankment in the Bulgarian territory of Strandja is located in the area "Propada", 5 km northwest of the town. The whole area around Malko Tarnovo is dotted with dolmens, necropolises, tombs and ancient sanctuaries that deserve to be seen.

There are three museums in Malko Tarnovo - archaeological, historical and natural sciences. There are two Christian churches on the territory of the city as well. The Orthodox Church of the Assumption is located in the center of Malko Tarnovo. It was built on the site of an old church dated back to 1754.

Nearest settlements: Brashlyan village, Burgas

Major rivers and lakes:  Rezovo River, Veleka River

Working hour: NA

Municipality of Malko Tarnovo: Tel: 00359 5952 3021

.



Petrova Niva Area

The area of "Petrova niva" is located north of the village of Stoilovo (municipality of Malko tarnovo). It is known as place where in 1903 was held a meeting of VMRO (Secret Macedonian-Adrianople Revolutionary Organization) and when a decision for the Preobrazhenie uprising was taken. In honor of the heroes from the uprising, in the late 50-ies of XX century, there was built a monument and a museum. In museum are exhibited documents, pictures and antique weapons related with the rebellion. In 2003 (100th anniversary of the event) was built a church named St. Petka.

The Memorial complex in the area of "​​Petrova Niva" is included in the list of The Hundred National Tourist Sites of Bulgaria.

Nearest settlements: Malko Tarnovo, Brashlian village

Major rivers and lakes:  Veleka River

Working hour: NA

Municipality of Malko Tarnovo: Tel 00359 5952 3021

.